The United States Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel was started construction in 1959 and completed in 1962 with height of 46 meters and 2 floors. The building was designed by Walter Netsch of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of Chicago. The contractor of the construction is Robert E. McKee, Inc. Designed as a modern style of architecture, the Cadet Chapel has become a classic and highly regarded example of modernist architecture. in 1996, it was awarded the American Institute of Architects’ National Twenty-five Year Award. Moreover, as part of the Cadet Area, was named a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 2004.
The Cadet Chapel was designed specifically to house three distinct worship areas under a single roof which included the Protestant nave on the upper level, the Catholic and Jewish chapels and a Buddhist room are located beneath it. Beneath this level is a larger room used for Islamic services and two meeting rooms.